Focus on: GrapefruitJun 24, 2019
My mum, much like my previous self, could not shift that extra stone when she hit the mid-forties, and so was a perpetual dieter for the rest of her life. She tended to start the day with half a grapefruit sprinkled with just a little bit of sugar, which with hindsight makes it quite clear why most of her efforts to lose weight were not terribly successful.
But the pulp of the fruit is well known for being a fat burner, and so concentrating the goodness of fruit in an essential oil increases its power incredibly and makes it a total must-have in any natural medicine cabinet.
Grapefruit oil, cold-pressed from the rind of the fruit; is not only a top oil to quell cravings and support a healthy metabolism, but it also is a great mood enhancer and a wonderful stress reliever. It is said to have a cleansing effect on the kidneys, liver, lymphatic and vascular system, and it is my oil of choice to add to my water bottle for after my run. ⠀ ⠀
Like all citrus oils, Grapefruit is a powerful antioxidant, naturally high in limonene, which makes up about 90% of the oil, known to be a tumour fighting agent that can be used to reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body. Limonene protects the DNA and cells from damage and is so very interesting in research for its cancer-preventing properties.
It has a lower photosensitivity than other citrus oils, and so often is added to body lotions and soap because of its antibacterial and anti-ageing properties. Here are just some uses that make it a great addition to your daily essential habits:
- Aromatically it is a modifier and enhancer - try diffusing it with Basil and Bergamot for an uplifting and stress-free environment
- Dilute in a little carrier oil and apply topically on the chest, the back of your neck or the bottoms of your feet.
- Place a drop on your dry brush and brush gently into the skin before your shower.
- Add a drop to a glass of water to relieve hangover symptoms: As it is a liver and gallbladder stimulant it will help with the sluggishness that follows overindulging, and the cravings that follow the spike in blood sugar. As always, I only recommend dōTERRA oils for internal use - if you use another brand make sure that it includes one ingredient only, and that's grapefruit!
- Add a few drops to your scent-free shampoo, especially if you have coloured hair, as it may help to protect you from UV damage.
Get in touch to learn more about this oil and about the dōTERRA mission.
Stay connected with inspirations and updates
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.